This post has been compensated by Sunbeam. All opinions are mine alone.
Fighting back against the aging process
Personally, I resisted the aging process when my body started fighting back after physical activity. I felt sorry for myself, gave into the aches and pains and basically decided this was supposed to be the new me.
At some point, I woke up it realized it didn’t have to be that way. While dreading some new wrinkles and pains isn’t uncommon, there is so much more to aging well and feeling well.
Aging gracefully doesn’t mean we have to look or feel 20-something again. It’s about living our best lives and enjoying the process as we go!
Read on to find out my personal tips on aging happily.
Tips for aging gracefully
Use these tips to help you age gracefully from the inside out.
Regular exercise significantly lowers your risk of diseases, such as heart disease and cancer, and helps you retain your balance and mobility longer. Exercise also lowers stress and improves sleep, skin and bone health, and mood.
Ideally, strive for muscle strengthening activities of moderate intensity or greater, that involve all major muscle groups, two or more days per week
2. Rethink Relief
At around 40 years old, my body started yelling back after finishing up a challenging workout. I let those new aches and pains bring me down to a point where I almost gave up. After modifying my exercises and developing a new pain relief routine, I was back in business. We don’t have to give in but instead learn what works best for both exercise and recovery.
- Heat Therapy – a natural, drug-free form of pain relief that increases blow flow to accelerate tissue healing, relax sore muscles and relieve pain associated with muscle tension and stress.
My go-to is the Sunbeam GoHeat™ Cordless Heating Pad because it allows me to go about my day without being confined to a plugged in heating pad. Just slip in the rechargeable battery, wrap the soft, washable pad around the muscle pain area and you’re off! It helps with the normal areas of pain most of us experience both from daily living activities and exercise – back, arms, legs and shoulders. With three different heat settings and four hours of heat (on a low-setting) it’s perfect for anyone!
- Stretching – creating a regular stretching routine increases your flexibility, range of motion and blood flow to your muscles. It improves your performance in physical activities and your posture. Stretching also helps to heal and prevent back pain and is great for stress relief.
3. Maintain a balanced diet
A balanced diet of healthy foods mixed in with your favorite treats will assist in both aging gracefully and maintaining your adequate weight. Consider foods high in protein such as lean meats, fish and beans. Fruits, vegetables, low-glycemic carbohydrates, dairy and healthy fats should also be included.
Keep processed foods, refined sugars, salt and unhealthy fats to a minimum (still enjoy now and then of course).
4. Focus on Your Mental Health
Being happy and avoiding stress related situations is crucial in maintaining an active lifestyle. To keep your mood elevated:
- Schedule time specifically to enjoy your friends and loved one. That includes your furry loved ones too!
- Maintain positivity. Yes, aging is inevitable! Embracing your age while you create positive habits can make a substantial difference.
- Make time for the things you enjoy. Take on a new hobby, go for a walk, volunteer – whatever brings a smile to your face.
5. Create a regular sleep schedule
Just about everyone knows that sleep is important but, it’s more than just feeling rested. Sleep is important for your physical and mental health.
Adults over 18 should aim for seven to nine hours of sleep every night.
Getting enough sleep has been proven to:
- lower the risk of heart disease
- reduce stress and depression
- lower the risk of obesity
- improve focus and concentration
6. Practice Presence and Mindfulness
Mindfulness is a type of meditation in which you focus on being intensely aware of what you’re sensing and feeling in the moment, without interpretation or judgment. Practicing mindfulness involves breathing methods, guided imagery, and other practices to relax the body and mind and help reduce stress.
To practice mindfulness, try:
- tai chi
7. Drink plenty of water
Drinking plenty of water helps keep you regular and improves your energy levels and brain function. Drinking water also:
- Helps maximize physical performance.
- Significantly affects energy levels and brain function.
- May help prevent and treat headaches.
- May help relieve constipation.
- May help treat kidney stones.
- Can aid weight loss.
Speak to a doctor regarding any of the above, if you have questions or concerns.